Situated on the top of a hill at 564 metres above sea level, Montalcino has preserved its charm of an untouched medieval village.Its territory, which is part of the Artistic, Natural and Cultural Park of the Val d’Orcia, is covered with vineyards (whose grapes produce prestigious wines) olive trees and woods consisting prevalently of holm oak trees. Its Latin name derivative, Ilex, is probably the origin of Mons Ilcinus (Montalcino). The most important permanent presence, which stands at a distance of three km from Montalcino, is found at the archeological site “Poggio della Civitella”. Since 1993, seasonal excavation have brought to the light Etruscan ruins belonging to the Archaic and the Hellenistic period. During the VI century B.C the area contained a village and then a fortress composed of three series of walls presumably abandoned during the III century B.C.
The oldest document that mentions Montalcino is dated 715 A.C. It is signed by the Longobard King Liutprando. This document reports a dispute between the Bishop of Arezzo and the Bishop of Siena regarding the possession of some Parish churches in Montalcino. Yet another old document, dated 814, indicates the donation of territory of Montalcino from Ludovico il Pio to Abbazia of Sant’Antimo, a wonderful example of architecture, only 9 Km from Montalcino.
According to the legend, the Abbey was founded in an ancient votive chapel erected by Charlemagne in 781 and was later rebuilt between 1000 and 1118. This extraordinary example of Romanesque Lombard-French architecture made in onyx and alabaster reveals its exceptional in its apse externally formed by radial chapels along an internalambulatory and ist capitals ornamented whith geometrical floral motifs and animals figures: the representation of Daniele in the Lion den, recently attributed to the Master of Cabestany, stands out.
Named a City, then diocese in 1462 by Pope Pio II Piccolomini, Montalcino sustained historical moments of great tension due to the dispute between Frorence and Siena and over the dominance of territory. After Siena's surrender to the Medici family in 1555, exiled Siennese sought shelter in the power fortress of the town and founded the Republic of Siena in Montalcino which rule until 1559. From that time on, Montalcino would be subject to the rule of the grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Touring the city, it is possible to admire many medieval structures beginning with surrounding Wall with its gates and remains of some its towers, the City Hall (XIII century), the Porticos of Piazza del Popolo (with its arches from the XIV and XV century); the Cathedralin neo-classic style (built on a parish Church of the XI century); theSanctuary of the Madonna del Soccorso (erected in the XVII century on the site of a XV century church); Saint Egidio (also know as the Siennese Church, built in the XIV century); and the wonderful churches from 1300s, Saint Agostino (with frescos of the Siennese school of the XIV century) and Saint Francesco (whit the annex of Monastery which open to beautiful cloisters). This church still holds frescos from the 1500s by Vincenzo Tamagni the same artist responsible for the frescos in the old Studiolo, locaded in the complex of Spedale di Santa Maria della Croce (XIII century), presentily home of the City Hall.
Within the ancient rooms of S. Agostino’s monastery is situated theMuseum of Montalcino, one of the most important collections of archeological, medieval and modern art in the district of Siena. The collection offers an almost complete view of this important Tuscan town’s artistic production.
A fixed date in the life of Montalcino is the Festival of the Thrush which is celebrated on the last Sunday of October. The four Quarters of Montalcino – Borghetto, Pianello, Ruga and Travaglio – challenge each others in an archery competition that recall hunting wild boar in medieval times, while a long parede with magnificent costumes crosses the streets of the town accompanied by the traditional music and dance of the folk group Il Trescone.
|CASTELLO BANFI - IL BORGO||+39 0577 877700 website email||LOC. POGGIO ALLE MURA||Services: conditioned air|
|CASTELLO DI VELONA||+39 0577 800101 website email||LOC. VELONA||Services: conditioned air|
|DEI CAPITANI||+39 0577 847227 website email||VIA LAPINI, 6||Services: conditioned air|
|DEI CAPITANI DIPENDENZA||+39 0577 847227 website email||VIA LAPINI, 6||Services: conditioned air|
|GIARDINO||+39 0577 848257 email||PIAZZA CAVOUR, 4|
|IL BORGO||+39 0577 807078 website email||LOC. CASTIGLION DEL BOSCO||Services: alimenti|
|IL GIGLIO||+39 0577 848167 website email||SOCCORSO SALONI, 5||Services: credit cards|
|IL GRAPPOLO||+39 0577 848668 email||VIA OSTICCIO, 19||Services: parking lots|
|RISTORANTE AL BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO||+39 0577 849304 website email||TRAVERSA OSTICCIO||Services: parking lots|
|VECCHIA OLIVIERA||+39 0577 846028 website email||PORTA CERBAIA ANGOLO VIA LANDI||Services: conditioned air|
|B&B PALAZZINA CESIRA||+39 0577 846055||VIA S.SALONI, 2|
|B&B PORTA CASTELLANA||+39 0577 839001 website email||VIA SANTA LUCIA, 20|
|BENDINI LORETTA||SOCCORSO SALONI, 74|
|BIANCHINI NADA||+39 0577 849161||VIA MOGLIO, 9|
|CASTELLARE||+39 3288441769 email||TRAVERSA CASTELLARE 29- TORRENIERI|
|VILLA LE PRATA B&B||+39 0577 848325 website email||LOC. LE PRATA, 261|
|CENTRO COLLINARE L'OSSERVANZA||+39 3398299314 email||LOC. OSSERVANZA||Services: alimenti|
|SANTA MARIA MADDALENA||+39 0577 834555||LOC. TORRENIERI|
|CANTINI VITTORIO||+39 0577 847197 website email||LOC. CROCINA||Services: pets allowed|
|CASA VACANZE CASARBIA||+39 3391157408 email||LOC. ABBADIA ARDENGA||Services: pets allowed|
|CASA VACANZE PORTA VECCHIA||+39 0577 844155 website email||FRAZ. S. ANGELO IN COLLE||Services: parking lots|
|LA PIEVE||+39 0577 816604 website email||S.P. MAREMMANA - LOC. POGGIO ALLE MURA||Services: credit cards|
|MONTECAPRILI||+39 0577 835518 website email||FRAZ. CASTELNUOVO ABATE||Services: credit cards|
|NANNETTI ROBERTO||+39 0577 835501||LOC. MONTE AMIATA SCALO, 1||Services: parking lots|
|PETRI MARIA FLORIA||+39 0577 848054 website email||VIA PIERI, 96 - LOC. I PIERI||Services: parking lots|
|RESIDENZA PALAZZO SALONI||+39 0577 846025 email||VIA SOCCORSO SALONI, 31||Services: credit cards|
|SARAGIOLO||+39 06 30893315||LOC. I CAPPUCCINI||Services: parking lots|
|VILLA S. MARIA||+39 041 990508 website email||VIA LANDI, 33||Services: parking lots|
|VILLA TUSCO||+39 0577 846021||VIA ROMANA, 6 - LOC. TORRENIERI|
|BRIZIO||+39 0577 849419 website email||LOC. BRIZIO||Services: credit cards|